I’m actually posting Baxter’s 11 month pictures in a timely fashion! Gasp! But that’s because we’re basically all quarantined at home today due to hand-foot-and-mouth disease that is running through our house hold. Yuck. High fevers, nasty rashes, no appetites…it started with Charlotte, went to Bax, on to Fred, and I’m ok…so far.
In any case, we have to stay away from other children, so we had plenty of time for photos today! Between ten and eleven months were a BIG change for Baxter:
- Still has only two teeth, and weighs in at 16 lbs. 6 oz, or in the 1%. Tiny peanut!
- Finally figured out how to crawl on all fours instead of his inchworm/army crawl. He can crawl over/under/around/inside/outside anything that presents an obstacle!
- Is slowly starting to cruise on furniture, but really cruises with his push stroller toy. The boy is fearless. FEARLESS! He will push that thing like a bat out of hell, fall, and get up and do it all over again!
- Babbles more and more, loving to make different tones with his voice, and plenty of yells
- Grunts a little gremlin grunt and blows raspberries at anyone that will look at him
- Thinks Charlotte is the funniest person on the planet. On a recent trip to the beach, she repeatedly threw Dad’s flip flop at his face, and he repeatedly cracked up.
- Did his first sign! Signed “more” when eating, and uses it sporadically.
- Has a definite word/sound for Dad. “DA! DAAAA!” he will shout upon seeing Fred. Still no consistent “mama”.
- Loves Pippa and gives her lots of hugs
- Went on his first family camp trip to Sebago Lake for a week with my family. Baxter loved the water, the beach, crawling around the house, playing with everyone, the food…basically everything except sleeping. Which he did not do much of. He preferred to cry his brains out each night, prompting Fred and I to take him home a day early and let everyone else have some peace and quiet!
- Favorite foods are applesauce, avocado, pasta, watermelon, fish (sometimes), and crackers
My little man is now closer to one year than he is to the newborn phase. I just remarked to Fred the other day that Baxter’s first year is seeming to go by so much faster than Charlotte’s first year did! We are busier than ever, and the minutes literally slip away when you are ‘on’ 12hours a day. There is no time to check email, sit down for a quiet moment, eat something in peace, or even go to the bathroom alone. Every minute revolves around some little person and their intense needs. Come 8pm, Fred and I barely have enough energy to talk to each other, and sometimes just relish the quiet. But it’s all worth it when you have a little man that laughs a giant hiccuping belly laugh when all you do is look at him.
And yes, Baxter is a little man: “Baximus Maximus”, “Baxter Boy” or “Honey boy” as he’s known around here. The sweetest moment I have seen in their relationship was just this morning: Charlotte was trying to watch The Jungle Book movie, and Baxter was sitting 6 inches from her screaming and whining for a solid 6-7 minutes. She finally just reached over to him, rubbed his head, and said “ohhh Baxter Boy, are you sad?” He calmed at her touch, and they both went on watching the movie. What tenderness and care–and endless patience–she has for her brother!
The big changes between 8 months and 9 months:
- crawling! well, more like army-crawling-inching across the floor. the boy has some strong arms, and the front of his clothes are getting all frayed from being dragged across every rug, hardwood floor, grass, and driveway on our property!
- can pack away a LOT of food! tonight he ate fistfulls of salmon, a whole bowl of applesauce, some mashed cauliflower + potato, and finished it all off with 1/3 of a banana. and THEN went directly upstairs to nurse!
- is starting to pull himself up on anything he can find
- loves Pippa the cat–whenever he hears her in the room, he must find her and inch on over!
- he babbles a lot, and says “mama” quite often…but I’m still not sure if it’s intentional or not?
- By the way, now that he’s mobile? There is NO HOPE for cute, stationary monthly photos anymore. The shots below are the best we could do!
A rare family photo on Dad’s birthday!
Holy cow….Baxter is actually closer to 9 months old, and I’m just getting around to posting the pictures.
What a little man he has become! Just after he turned 8 months he started crawling (sort of an army crawl, inchworm move and he’s fast!) He continues to love his solid food and feeding himself–sometimes I’m amazed at how much he can pack away! Some favorites are toast with peanut butter or hummus, fish, string cheese, scrambled eggs, and applesauce. His sleeping is fiiiiinally going well–it was a long road to get to this point! Two predictable naps a day, bed by 7pm, sometimes a 5am wake up to feed, and then back down until 7am. Repeat. This boy sleeps a lot! But that’s probably because when he’s awake, he never. stops. moving. Never!
He starting to babble more and more, and with intention! We can’t tell what he wants to say, but it’s evident that he wants to participate, knows how to get attention, and has a full range of sweet, mad, frustrated, and happy sounds. Oh Bax! We love you!
Charlotte wasn’t as into the photo shoot this time…
This is what 8 months looks like…never staying still!
And he’s off!
A few days late here because we’re so dang busy! Baxter is now a rolling, squirming, screeching seven month old! We had some big changes between six and seven months:
- Fiiiinnnnally sleeping through the night. Most nights.
- Rolls both ways
- But he is developing a [somewhat annoying] habit of rolling over onto his belly and getting smashed up against the crib bars RIGHT when it’s time to go to sleep. Ensue screaming until an adult rescues him.
- Is just about able to sit on his own, toppling over only when he over-zealously reaches for a toy or the cat
- Loves his solid food: applesauce, bananas, baked apples, oatmeal with green beans, toast with hummus, and kiwi. All feeding himself!
- Had a visit from Uncle Tom and Anna, and Uncle Teddy and Nina!
- Mama went away from Baxter for her first night
- Does more screeching than babbling: “dah dah!” “BWAH!”
- Has the very beginnings of two bottom teeth
- Loves playing outside: eating grass and leaves, digging around in the sandbox
Hands always taste good
Watch out, dino
I just realized that a whole month has passed since my last post. Baxter is already half a year old! WOW. Since 5 months, he’s finally started sleeping better (although still not through the night). But at least he goes to sleep easily and routinely around 6:30pm, wakes up once to eat, and goes back to sleep until 6:30am. He also started food the baby-led weaning way riiight at six months old (more on that later). Pictures of the beautiful mess coming soon!
In addition, he’s trying VERY hard to roll from his back up onto his belly. He’s working on his grip, clasping things and then letting them go repeatedly so that he can handle his food better. He has a wide register of delightful little screams and coos, and is really an easy-going boy. Not much makes him upset, unless he really wants to EAT NOW or really needs to SLEEP NOW! He’s taking an interest in toys and the cats, and Charlotte is the apple of his eye. He needs to know where she is, and what she’s doing at all times!
Notice in these 6 month photos that Baxter is finally starting to take some control, over Charlotte and the dinosaur! Click the pictures to enlarge.
Starting to tease his sister
Look out, dino!
Months four to five were rough for Mom and Dad. Baxter didn’t sleep a whole lot at night, so the entire month seems like a blur! The past week has been a little better, and Baxter is finally getting on a routine for naps during the day! Along with all this not sleeping, he’s also become really good at rolling over, is trying to get his knees up under him to creep around, and he can reach out and grab toys with both hands! He’s a happy little man, loves to laugh, and is most entertained when he can sit in his bouncy chair and take everything in. He can be playful and quite loud, and his new favorite sound is smooshing is lips together and shouting “pvvvvvvvv!”
He’s probably over 13 pounds, and has “delicious thigh rolls” as his pediatrician says. He’s still a champion nurser, and will continue exclusively on breast milk until next month….when we get to start solid food!
Baxter’s 5 month pictures were actually taken at Charlotte’s 2nd birthday party. She was a good girl to share the spotlight 🙂
Click on the pictures to enlarge.
“He five month old!”
The highlights between months 3 and 4:
- sits up more and more with less of mom’s help!
- likes his exersaucer hand me down from Charlotte
- still loves to eat his hands
- is starting to laugh
- likes to look at the pictures when we read
- has an increasingly large ‘vocabulary’ of sounds
- slept through the night for a whole week straight! and then stopped…
- but is taking four regular naps a day!
- had his first Christmas, though he napped through most of it!
Click on the pictures to enlarge!
This bad boy can almost sit up on his own!